|Composite Boat Builder
|Manufacturing Facility, Holland, MI
A Composite Boat Builder is responsible for sourcing necessary materials, fabricating parts, and constructing the boat. They may review blueprints and oversee other builders or contractors as they complete the building process to ensure they follow the client’s specifications. They will be responsible for building the interior/exterior boat cabinetry, install engines and marine systems and components in boats.
Composite Boat Builder Responsibilities:
- Designing and constructing boats according to customer specifications using composite materials
- Cuts and forms parts, such as keel, ribs, sidings, and support structures and blocks, using woodworking hand tools and power tools.
- Curing or hardening the fiberglass hull using heat lamps or ovens depending on the type of resin used
- Attaches metal parts, such as fittings, plates, and bulkheads, to ship, using brace and bits, augers, and wrenches.
- Establishes dimensional reference points on layout and hull to make template of parts and locate machinery and equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of boat building techniques and materials
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics
- Ability to use hand and power tools safely and accurately
- Ability to lift and carry large, heavy objects
- R & D new product development
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Perform a wide variety of boat building tasks related to wood/composite yachts
- Fabricating/ fitting composite components, installing deck hardware, hinges, latches, and handrails
- Sets and operates a variety of woodworking machines, including power and hand tools
- Must be intensely aware of quality standards
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- 5+ years’ experience gained within the composite boat building field
- Bachelor’s degree in marine engineering or similar.
- Experience with engineering design software such as AutoCAD, Rhino 3D, and SOLIDWORKS.
- Familiarity with maritime HM&E systems and naval construction processes.
- Experience with a variety of engineering processes including mechanical, electrical, and software.
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Physically fit and able to work in strenuous circumstances and harsh weather conditions.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Troubleshooting skills and attention to detail.
- Documentation and organization skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy levels.
- Ability to follow procedures and work instructions / manuals.
- Good verbal communication and listening skills.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
- Used to working in a fast-moving environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties.